Friday, February 10, 2012

Witches Abroad – Terry Pratchett (Audiobook)


Read by Nigel Planer
Listened to: October 2010 (at age 32)
Re-read, first time listening

If you haven’t read it:

This is the 12th of 38 (at the time of writing) Discworld novels.  It’s a self-contained book, and can be read without worrying about the rest.

From the back of the book (dead tree edition):

It seemed an easy job… After all, how difficult could it be to make sure that a servant girl doesn’t marry a prince?

But for the witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat Garlick, travelling to the distant city of Genua, things are never that simple…

Servant girls have to marry the prince.  That what life is all about.  You can’t fight a Happy Ending.

At least – up until now…

And here I thought I used ellipses a lot.  Good summary, though.


If you've read it (spoilers!)
Overall: 
When I first read this book, I was backpacking around Europe.  It was a very topical book, and when I finished the last page, I closed the book, and then opened it again on page one, and kept right on going.  I’ve never done that before or since.  It was an excellent read.  I didn’t like the audiobook format as much, though, I think mostly because I had trouble understanding Nanny Ogg’s dialogue.  Much of the book was the witches (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat Garlick) bickering back and forth, and missing bits of this dialogue made the book much less enjoyable.  The audiobook format also made it nearly impossible to linger over a particularly delicious phrase.  The rating below is for the audiobook; I’d rate the paper copy higher.

Rating: 3

Characters:  
The duo of Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are my two favorite characters in the Discworld, and to my mind, this book shows them at their best.  There's a strong supporting cast, as well.

Premise: 
Just fine – it’s a Discworld book.  In this book, the targets of the satire are fairy tales and travelogues.  It’s a combination that works surprisingly well. 

Setting:
Fine.  The Discworld.  This is book 12 of a whole bunch.  Each book explores bits and pieces of the world.  In this case, there was a bunch of exploration of an area that I haven’t read about anywhere else (in this series).  Essentially, the book takes place in a fantastical version of New Orleans, and that’s fun.

Plot: 
Good.  The plot played a stronger role in this book than some of the other, earlier Discworld books.  It was sufficient on its own, rather than simply a framework from which to hang jokes.

Readability: 
Fair.  Nicely paced and fun language.  Unlike some of the Discworld books, there was sufficient plot movement to keep me interested.

Audiobook reader: 
Fair.  Effective use of different voices and a very appropriate reading style to the material.  I had trouble understanding some of the voices, though, particularly Nanny Ogg. 

Other Opinions:
Hmm.. apparently didn’t like it much.

Dark Knight Rides
Nice discussion, positive review.

Books and Other Thoughts
Another positive review.

The Ossus Library
Good plot summary, light on opinion, but generally positive.

Helium
Yet another positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment